Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Crunchy supper

LAST night I had the most unsettling food in a long time. I went out with my girlfriend and her co-workers to see another fireworks festival (this is the season for it apparently) and we sat on the beach and shared food.

I'm not a picky eater and will try just about anything, at least once.

On the large canvas tarp there were about 15 of us seated with an immense variety of items to pick and eat, most of which were dimly visible in the dark. We were offered chicken skewers which were amazingly tasty to begin with. Being emboldened I accepted a fish fry, which I took to be a fish stick. Not quite so, I bit down into the 5 inch long! breaded piece of fish only to realize it was not a piece of fish but rather a whole, head, tail, fins, guts and all fish in a layer of batter outside. It took me several bites and mental exercise to keep it down. Followed by copious amounts of Coke.


Next there came some beef skewers, once again very tasty! My girlfriend got a "chicken" skewer which she found to be a bit too chewy so I popped the rest of it in my mouth, then I quickly realized it was not chicken at all! I had a mouthful of BBQ pieces of tripe. I washed it down again with lots of Japanese tea.

Finally I saw these small tempura shrimp which I examined and it looked OK. I grabbed one and ate it. But underneath the tempura was an entire shrimp, head with prickly spikes, shell, legs, and all. And ensued another bout of difficult swallowing. It was dry and it's mustache tentacles and legs scratched my throat as it went down. I grabbed some chicken balls and used them to finish getting the thing into my stomach. I also followed this with lots of tea, tomatoes and coke.



Well that was supper! Except I was hungry and got a bean bread at the store before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment