Wednesday, August 5, 2009

First days


Map of the Area


I finally got to Yokohama and met up with my girlfriend, it was great! :) I got there so late though that I was unable to check into my reserved room at Hostel Yokohama. So I went next door and stayed one night at the Hotel Porto Yokohama first. I must say the rooms are small but comfy in these Hostel/Hotels. However you only have a room, shower, bathroom and all else is shared by floor. I woke up in the morning and wanted to take a shower, so I grabbed my clothes and soaps and went into the shower, only to discover you have to insert ¥100 (about $1US) for every 2 minutes of shower water. So I ran back, grabbed a handfull of coins and took a nice long (and expensive) shower. :)

I wandered around Yokohama, checking out the shops, restaurants and getting used to the sounds of the language and the way people act. The Room at the Guest house in which I'm staying in Yokosuka wasn't available till August 1st so I had to kill 2 days in Yokohama, it was pretty easy to do!

I visited a lot of Chinatown in Yokohama, it was pretty amazing, and the funny thing was there were tons of Chinese tourists in Japan visiting Chinatown!

While I was there I saw this local Koban. See how small it is? Most of them are this size, holding only one or two officers.

I bought a pair of plastic nunchakus while I was in Chinatown and my girlfriend bought a cute Panda pillow. Panda stuff is everywhere! It's Panda-monium! (hahaha) It also happened to be the day before the 150th celebration of Yokohama city.

I took off and split the nunchaku's rubber outside in half and tapped them to the handles of one of the bags I was carrying, now I was able to turn it into a backpack (sort of).

2 comments:

  1. Great story! sounds like so many other trips in our life... what are nunchakus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the two sticks with chains in between. They are used by ninjas!

    ReplyDelete