Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yokosuka first days

I booked a room in a place called Soleil Yokosuka, it was the only guest house which said they had room in Yokosuka so the choice was not hard. My girlfriend and I took the train together from Yokohama to Yokosuka, I needed a guide since the train system was still so unfamiliar to me (I'm getting better at it now)!

Me lugging my 100 pounds of luggage through the hot humid, subtropical weather. We got off at the right station (Hemi) but could not find the place as it was indicated on the map. We asked a few people and one of them brought us to the local Police station, called Koban here. The Koban is for any time where someone (even a Japanese person) is lost, needs directions or anything else. It is generally a much more people friendly place, they deal with many issues most of which are not criminal, when you walk into one, you feel like you walked into some government office with clerks rather than that hard-ass I-will-punch-you-in-the-face-and-arrest-you-if-you-look-the-wrong-way feeling in North America. The officer had never heard of the place, he called other people and a general search of 20-30 minutes happened at which point we decided to go to my girlfriend's house and use her internet to figure out where it was and call them up.

So I lugged the bags back up the to the train station and then on a 20 minute walk to her apartment in the middle of the day. I collapsed on the cool floor of her small room when I got there! My shoulders were raw and bleeding from all the weight on them over the last few days.

We found the place online, called them and they told us to go to a small building right next to where we had been! But when we got there a person came and met us. The address they give is not where the guest house is but rather where they meet people to take them there. So I lugged the bags again, over another 15 minute walk to the stairs leading to the guest house. The house is near the top of a large hill, and getting up there requires walking up more than 150 steps! (yes I counted them)...

I paid up front the $1000 for my room and dropped off my luggage and then went back down into town to get some food with my girlfriend and watch the Yokosuka fireworks and celebrations for Yokohama.

No comments:

Post a Comment